New Reading List (in process)

In his recent post, my Friend Bucho blogged about all the books he's read last year, a mind boggling list of over sixty books.  So it got me thinking about the books I want to read this year. Truthfully, I can't think so far ahead, so here is my reading list for the next two months (no particular order, except perhaps the first five)

1. World's Fair - EL Doctorow (Finished Ragtime recently and loved it, so I am on to the next one of his novels that speaks to me) 
2. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (I am curious about the buzz surrounding this book)
3. Mystic River - Dennis Lehane (Having seen the movie--which I loved--I thought I would venture into mystery writing with this novel)
4. The Boy Who Shoots at Crows - Randall Silvis (Another mystery novel.  This one's set in Pennsylvania)
5. Housekeeping - M. Robinson (I like to read this novel at least a few times a year.  It's like going back and revisiting an old friend)
6. Tinkers - P. Harding (Ditto)
7. The Outermost House - Henry Beston (Nonfiction work from a master stylist)
8. Reality Hunger - David Shields (a postmodern critique about, well, everything media related)
9. The Message in a Bottle - Walker Percy (Rereading for the fifth time, I think.  A collection of brilliant philosophical/linguistic essays)
10. Julip - Jim Harrison (Author of Legends of a Fall. Beautiful writing from a storytelling master)
11. Tree of Smoke - Denis Johnson (Johnson's prize winning masterpiece)
12. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Ron Hansen (Masterful storytelling)
13. Blue Nights - Joan Didion (Latest book by this master writer)
14. Mothers and Sons - Colm Toibin (Love his writing for the sheer sonic brilliance of his words)
15. Mrs. Bridge - Evan S. Connell (Recommended by Ethan Canin)
16. Jazz - Toni Morrison (A second read)
17. After This - Alice McDermott (A quiet novelist with a soaring reputation)
18. Gilead - M. Robinson (Reading this for the third time)
19. The Shipping News - Annie E. Proulx (Love her style.  This time I'll finish the book)
20. Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy (reading this for the third time)

What's on your list?

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to review, add, delete to this list at any time :)

Comments

Popular Posts